"....try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Escape Clause

Here's my brutally honest confession: sometimes I like being sick.  I don't like the physical realities of it, of course.  But, at a deep level, sometimes I am deeply grateful for the time to take care of myself, to get away from the demanding schedules of daily life, and for the excuse to just stop.

I'm looking at that confession very carefully these days.  Because obviously you've gotta watch out what you hope for.

It's not right, or good, to like being sick.  This is not a good way to get a vacation.  This is not a good way to even out the pressures of daily life.  This is simply not an acceptable alternative.

So I'm looking at what this means, when I confront this very honestly.  And what I'm coming up with is that I seem to need an excuse, a permission slip, to stop.  That I seem to need an acceptable reason to take a break from the daily grind.  That there is a sense of deep gratitude when the life that I have consciously put in place is disrupted.

Whoa.  This opens up so many unsettling questions.  Who is orchestrating this life of mine, anyway?  Why is one part of me needing to find an acceptable excuse to take a break from the plan that another part of me has put in place?  Why is sickness acceptable when some other reason isn't?  If I feel, on some level, safer and better cared for when I'm sick, does that mean I'm not safe or well cared for when I'm well?  Whose job is it, anyway, to take care of myself?  And how in the world do I fix this so that I feel like I'm being taken care of enough when I'm well so that I don't have to get sick to feel OK?

Big questions.  Tough to grapple with.  And in looking at the answers, I'm finding that each one opens up even more questions and rabbit holes to go down.  So many, in fact, that I think I'm going to tackle each one individually in separate posts.  Because the orchestration of life includes so many factors, ones we have the ability to choose and not choose.  We can't be sitting around bemoaning the fact that we have an imperfect life, because life is -- by definition -- riddled with imperfections.  It takes some deep looking and understanding to get to the bottom of these things, with the goal of finding a way to create an inner and outer life that is comfortable and safe to to be in without getting sick.

I am certainly not someone who gets sick a lot, but I have certainly run headlong into a health crisis this year that makes it worth to start examining these uncomfortable issues.  Confessing that there is an element of relief in it makes me realize that there are other ways to escape our lives as well.  A happy hour drink on the weekend can rapidly become an any hour drink on any day, and suddenly the bit of R&R self care that you indulged in in the beginning has turned into something dysfunctional and destructive.  It is easy to batter your immune system; it is easy to fall into addiction; it is easy to blame dysfunctional relationships and let that be your way of not fully inhabiting your own life.   It is far harder to be healthy, and stay in the thick of things, and know that you are thriving and energetic and well supported by your own life decisions.

I keep coming back to this idea of who is running our lives.  Are we running our lives, or are they running us?  And I fear that, for me at least, my life was running me most of the time.  My inner landscape in the months (and years) leading up to my diagnosis was that of Indiana Jones, running like hell away from that big rock ball bearing down on him in the cave.  Absolutely running flat out trying to keep ahead of this force of nature which I have somehow loosed upon myself.

Which means I have to dig way deep and figure out how to change that.  I need to rejigger either the outer mechanics of my life, or change deeply my inner relationship to it, or both.  I should not have to feel like I'm at odds with my own self, needing to devise intricate subliminal strategies in order to get out of a contract that doesn't feel like it serves me well.  Our lives should feel, at the very least, like a pact that has been signed by all parties and negotiated by a very good advocate for our own well being.  We should be behind the things we're doing, so that we don't have to look for escape clauses and loopholes all the time.

This seems so fundamental.  But, as Ferris Bueller says, life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy - I've been following your posts and journey. I feel as if there's nothing intelligent I could say and yet I feel I should say something. I've always admired your strength and it has been personified 100 fold as you kick cancer's ass. Every part of me has wanted to come by and hug you, offer help to do whatever you need, or just listen. Then I feel as if you may want your privacy and space. Either way, know that you are in my constant thoughts and prayers and that I'm sending whatever good energy I can to you. You don't deserve this but you are fighting it like the warrior you are. Hugs and love to you and your family! LoriAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Kathy. My pal Jill Bauer wrote the most hysterical (and accurate) comment on FB. I just didn't want it to get lost out there forever, so I'm appending it to this post. Jill wrote: "[This turned out much longer than I expected. But I kind of like my little fable, so am posting the whole thing. :)] "Our lives should feel, at the very least, like a pact that has been signed by all parties and negotiated by a very good advocate for our own well being." Ha! I like that analogy. My parties seem only negotiate with each other for short-term deals: 'I'll back off on this migraine if you don't make me go to that dinner party." "You want to look and feel better? Ehhhhh, not interested, I don't think I'll work hard to get in shape. Oh, you'll take me to an exciting travel destination? I'm in!" I've always been impressed that your parties -- Artist, Wife, Organizer, Mother, Friend, Fixer, Moneymaker -- all seem to be in general agreement and to have signed off on a Pact that the best thing for the collective wellbeing was to Get Lots of Stuff Done. Perhaps Physical Wellbeing asked politely to be admitted to the Pact, early on. I picture Artist Wife Organizer Mother Friend Fixer Moneymaker talking it over: 'Hey, well, it would be nice to admit Physical Wellbeing -- we all love Physical Wellbeing, of course, who doesn't, such a sweetheart -- but it would interfere with Getting Lots of Stuff Done, it might even result in Getting Less Stuff Done and we don't really NEED Physical Wellbeing right now, so, nope, we are going to turn down the application, sorry." And for years, that worked OK, more or less, and lots of Stuff Got Done. But now Physical Wellbeing is really sick and REALLY REALLY needs to be admitted to the Pact, so Artist Wife Organizer Mother Friend Fixer Moneymaker take pity and say, "OK, there's a little bit of room in the Pact for you. But it's just a temporary rider, because you're REALLY REALLY SICK and even we feel sorry for you (plus we can see that not incorporating you into the Pact may have long-term effects that result in Getting Less Stuff Done). So you're in for now. But as soon as you're not REALLY REALLY SICK, we reserve the right to void the rider and return the Pact to the control of its original members." So how to convince Artist Wife Organizer Mother Friend Fixer Moneymaker that Physical Wellbeing can help in Getting Lots of Stuff Done? Or that the Pact should have as its focus something besides (or in addition to) Getting Lots of Stuff Done? I DON'T KNOW! But I'm so impressed with how you're wrestling with these questions in these blog posts. Keep 'em coming. Love you."

    ReplyDelete