"....try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Friday, December 25, 2015

One mutual friend

I realize that I have a new friend. This is a friend who helps me to find joy in life, who helps me appreciate each moment intensely. A friend who, occasionally, makes me laugh but, more often, makes me just stop and marvel, with insufferable and aching happiness, at the mere fact of being here in this moment.

I've always known about this friend, but we really got closer than ever last year. And, even though we've never gone on a very long trip together, or became super intimate, we have gotten to be on pretty good speaking terms. 

I think about this friend a lot. And even though many people would not want this much proximity, I've realized recently that I am very grateful for our new relationship, and indeed am proud to say that we are close.  Or, close enough to be interesting, while still remaining comfortably distant.

So, on this day of giving and receiving gifts, I would like to say thank you to this friend, for all the things you have taught me, and for all the priceless wonders I have experienced since getting to know you a little bit better.

I look forward to continuing a long relationship with you, as comfortably distant as possible without losing contact. I look forward to getting your updates frequently.  I don't want to be in an exclusive relationship with you yet, but I do want to share what you've given me with everyone I know.

Mostly I hope the gifts that you have given me can be received by everyone, in some way.  On this day of all days, as we huddle close with our friends and family, I look at the sparkling and defiant lights and think of you as we move through the darkness of winter.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment